When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to the donut shop in Prairie Grove before school. Most of the time, it happened on days when we didn’t have time to make breakfast or because we were out of cereal, but stopping by the donut shop was always one of my favorite things to do growing up.
It was at that donut shop where I first heard the expression, “It’s colder than a witch’s titty out there.” I never knew what that meant. Actually, I still have no idea what that means.
Tonight, the only cure for this ridiculously cold weather is to put on your gloves, hats, a couple extra pairs of socks, and to try to warm up by dancing like crazy.
There’s an early show at George’s for happy hour with Big Uns beginning right after work. They’ve moved the show indoors so you don’t freeze to death.
You could stop by there for an hour or so, and then book it over to the Greenhouse Grille for a dinner show with Matt Smith and his dad, Gus.
Which will leave you plenty of time to get to the Walton Arts Center for Little House on the Prairie, starting at 8:00.
After that, you’ve got choices. You could head to the Smoke and Barrel for 1 oz. Jig, back to George’s for Boom Kinetic, or you could do some more dancing at Speakeasy with SOUL GLO featuring DJ Joelle.
There’s also an I Hate Cancer benefit at Drifters (formerly Club West) this weekend. Tonight, they’ve got DJ Zac Slade, Hawkzilla, Genome Chomsky, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Antartichrist. All the money raised will help a local woman with her medical bills, which is awesome.
Tomorrow, the A.A. Bondy show at George’s has been cancelled. Instead, they’ve got Mountain of Venus and Crazy Neighbor, and the show is totally free.
There’s a benefit tomorrow night for NWA Roller Derby at Smoke and Barrel Tavern with David’s Pegasus, The Good Fear, and Perpetual Werewolf. All the money raised will go to support NWA Roller Derby. Todd and I play with the Good Fear.
The second night of the I Hate Cancer Benefit is going down at Drifters on Saturday, this time with DJ SweetNES, Candy Lee & the Sweets, Maud Crawford (acoustic), Rollo Tumasi, The 1oz Jig, Some Guy Named Robb.
If you missed the grand opening of Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge last weekend, don’t freak out. Just stop by on Saturday for Sarah Hughes and Gypsy Jazz Grass Allstars.
I don’t know anything about Bears from Space at the Perk on Saturday, except for the fact that their band name is awesome.
Sunday bunch tunes are now a thing in Fayetteville. This Sunday, you can check out Sarah Hughes at Common Grounds, and harpist Beth Stockdell will be at Greenhouse Grille.
Sunday Night, Scott Leeper is at George’s for Monster Mug Night, and Hawkzilla will be at Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge.
There’s more below. Set your faucets to drip, and try to stay warm out there. What are you guys doing this weekend?
- Friday, January 8
- Boom Boom Room: Jessie Dean Left of Center
- George’s: Big Uns, Boom Kinetic
- Greenhouse Grille: Matt & Gus Smith
- The GROJ: Texas Instruments, Captain Space, Delicious Doom, The Bad Acronym
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: TJ Scarlet
- Walton Arts Center: Little House on the Prairie 8pm
- Walton Arts Center: Miss Arkansas USA/Teen USA: Banquet 6pm
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: Tiffany Christopher, Jorian Oxygen
- Bordino’s: Sarah Hughes 9pm-12am
- Drifters: I Hate Cancer Benefit Concert
- Speakeasy: SOUL GLO/DJ Joelle
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: 1 Oz. Jig
- Jose’s: Joe Giles & The Homewreckers
- Saturday, January 9
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Effron White, Brandon White 9-11pm
- Boom Boom Room: The Great Scotts
- George’s: Mountain of Venus, Crazy Neighbor (AA Bondy show is cancelled)
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Walton Arts Center: Little House on the Prairie 2pm, 8pm
- Walton Arts Center: Miss Arkansas USA/Teen USA: Presentation Show 7pm
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: Sarah Hughes, Gypsy Jazz Grass Allstars
- Drifters: Candy Lee
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Perpetual Werewolf, David’s Pegasus, The Good Fear
- Rogue: Starved for Attention, Black Leaf Clover, Even Heroes
- Jose’s: On The Run
- The Perk: Bears from Space
- Sunday, January 10
- Fayetteville Public Library: Annual Bicycle Advocacy Forum & VEER Movie Screening 2:00-4:30pm
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: The Last Tycoon 9-11pm
- George’s: Scott Leeper
- Greenhouse Grille: Beth Stockdell (Harpist)
- Walton Arts Center: Little House on the Prairie 2pm, 7pm
- Walton Arts Center: Miss Arkansas USA/Teen USA: Coronation Show 7pm
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: Hawkzilla
- Common Grounds: Tiffany Christopher
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst