It’s the middle of March, which as far as I’m concerned is one of the best times of the whole year. Why? There are about 1,000 things to distract you from getting any work done, which sure makes the day go by a lot faster.
Today, for instance, if you’re even at work, you are likely doing one of the following things:
- Checking NCAA tourney scores / checking your bracket / watching basketball games online at your desk.
- Checking weather.com over and over to try to figure out if we are seriously going to get snow this weekend after it’s been over 70 degrees this week.
- Planning activities for your vacation next week. Spring Break! Party! Woo hoo! Yeow!
If you’re not doing those things, you’re probably just looking for some stuff to do in Fayetteville this weekend.
Good news. Here are some things to choose from.
Friday, there’s a big fashion show at Teatro Scarpino. It’s called Urban Fashion in America, and features a bunch of models showcasing the best in Japanese street fashion, punk, 80s/retro, DIY, goth, indie, industrial, “scene”, glamrock, rockabilly, “rocked out” swimwear, steampunk, pin-up, burlesque, high-fashion, couture, and more from local fashion designers Laura Madison and Jerry Coleman, six west coast designers, and four DJ’s.
On Saturday night, Brooklyn New York’s Spirit Family Reunion is at Smoke and Barrel. If you like Billy Bragg & Wilco’s album of Woody Guthrie songs Mermaid Avenue, Spirit Family Reunion will freak you the freak out. Check it.
Also Saturday night, Phunbags Comedy Improv is at the UARK Bowl, if you feel like laughing.
Three-time National Flatpicking Championships winner Steve Kaufman is at the Goodfolk house Saturday.
Sunday night is looking good this week especially if you’ve got next week off for spring break.
There’s a screening of the new White Stripes documentary at Greenhouse Grille. Here’s more info on that.
George’s has another band that will be at Wakarusa this year, Trampled by Turtles, in the garden Sunday night.
Also on Sunday night, there’s stand-up comedy (we don’t get a lot of that around here) at the UARK Bowl with Costaki Economopoulos (of Bob & Tom show fame).
There’s more below. What are you guys doing this weekend?
- Friday, March 19
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Xavier Moore Voice Recital
- Ella’s: Lorrie Morris
- George’s: Full House / Bill Dollar & Loose Change / Speakeasy / Charliehorse
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Greenhouse Grille: Still on the Hill / 3 Penny Acre
- Sunrise Cafe: Rollo Tumasi / What Army
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Justin Schilb Violin Recital
- UA Old Main / Giffels Auditorium: Kevin Graber Euphonium Recital
- Teatro Scarpino: Urban Fashion in America
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Matt Smith
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Rachel Billingsley
- Boom Boom Room: The Plaid Jackets
- Sat, March 20
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Jesse Austin Percussion Recital
- Ella’s: William Reyes
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Wes Hart
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: Phunbags Comedy Improv
- GoodFolk: Steve Kaufman
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Spirit Family Reunion
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Bill Justice
- George’s: SilverStone / Signum AD
- Boom Boom Room: Hex
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Lance Grigsby Trombone Recital
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: Costaki Economopoulos
- Greenhouse Grille: Miles Ralston, White Stripes DVD screening
- George’s: Beans and Cornbread / Trampled by Turtles
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Michael Olefsky Trombone Recital