Wanna hear a story that has nothing to do with the weekend in Fayetteville? If not, skip a few paragraphs.
It was a Tuesday like any other, and I headed to Marvin’s IGA to pick up some bread and cold cuts for lunch.
I breezed through the cold-food aisle, snatching some cheese from a metal peg, zig-zagged through a couple carts over to the back of the store for some smoked turkey, and then made my way back up to the bakery for a loaf of wheat bread.
When I got there, an older woman with one of the foulest mouths I’d ever heard on a lady above 80 years of age buzzed by on a rascal, nearly running over my foot. Unabashed by the near collision, the woman was muttering to herself, looking determined.
She stopped at one of the tables in the Marvin’s bakery, and cursed a loaf of rye bread disgustedly. You can imagine the words. Hyphenated words beginning with mother and son, a colorful word that rhymes with gas mole. There were more.
After she was finished telling the bread how she felt about it, she punched it. Twice.
Friday night, you’ve got some choices.
Big Bad Gina is either playing a pride party at Scarpino’s, or a CD release party at Scarpino’s, or both. The Scarpino’s calendar lists a CD release, but I can find no more evidence of a new compact disc from BBG. Either way, there is a party involved.
Fayetteville’s Army of Birds will release a new CD at ROTC Friday night. Get yourself some local music.
The Kopecky Family Band is in town from Nashville and will play the Spay Arkansas benefit on Friday at Smoke & Barrel. You can go to this show because you like good music, or because you like dogs. You decide. We talked to the Kopecky’s earlier this week. Remember?
On Saturday, there’s some weird thing happening on the square called a “farmers’ market.” Never heard of it.
3 Penny Acre Shannon Wurst will be down there, playing at Jammin’ Java.
The NWA Pride Parade is starting behind Hugo’s, and making its way to Dickson St. If all the national media attention is any indication, it will be the biggest one ever in Fayetteville. It starts at 10 a.m.
There’s a chill-out session with some local DJ’s at Rogue on Saturday called Audible Chocolate, starting at 4 p.m. It’s free.
The region-wide entertainment guide Nightflying Magazine celebrates its 30-year anniversary at George’s on Saturday night with a huge show featuring The Cate Brothers, Tiffany Christopher, American Aquarium, and A Good Fight. Happy anniversary, Peter.
1 oz Jig is at Smoke & Barrel, and there’s an All Out June block party is at Rogue.
There’s a lot more, too. What are you guys doing this weekend?
Friday, June 25
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jovan Arellano
- Ella’s: Lorie Morris
- George’s: Michael Burks / FOS Project / Mountain Sprout
- Greenhouse Grille: Jovan Arellano
- Dickson Theater: Darren Ray
- Mojo’s: Mike Bewley
- Foghorn’s on College: Ben Coulter
- Randal Tyson Track Center: Razorback Relief: Operation Haiti
- Jose’s: Chester P. & The Vinyl Kings
- The Garden Room: Red, White and Baby Blue
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Jeff Fox
- ROTC: Army of Birds
- Teatro Scarpino: Big Bad Gina CD release party
- Grub’s: Boom Kinetic
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Spay Arkansas Fundraiser with The Kopecky Family Band
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Matt Noble
- Saturday, June 26
- Jammin’ Java: Shannon Wurst
- Damgoode Pies: Jeff Alvine
- Dickson Street: All OUT June: Pride Parade
- Rogue: All OUT June: Block Party
- Rogue: Audible Chocolate
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- Mojo’s: Pura Vida
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Two High Strung
- Foghorn’s on College: Russ Hutchinson
- George’s: The Cate Brothers / Tiffany Christopher / American Aquarium / A Good Fight
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: TJ Scarlett
- Fayetteville Town Center: Ryan Gibson Foundation’s “One Particular Harbor”
- Boom Boom Room: Bravesoul / Amsterdam
- Uncle Gaylord’s: All OUT June: White Party
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: 1 oz. Jig
- Sunday, June 27
- Common Grounds: Sarah Hughes
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship: All OUT June: Pride Service/Potluck/Dance
- Fayetteville Public Library: Tiffany Christopher
- Greenhouse Grille: Raja
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Tiffany Christopher (solo)
- Mojo’s: Candy Lee
- Teatro Scarpino: the Malfecteurs Cajun Dance Band
- George’s: Cletus Got Shot
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: MST3K Movie Night
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room open mic
- OMNI Center: All OUT June: Video Underground