Is anybody else itching to attend tomorrow’s aldermen orientation session from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside Fayetteville City Hall? Yeah, I didn’t think so. The thing is, though, I kind of am.
It’s not that I have aspirations of serving on the City Council or anything like that. I do, however, want to know what those people are told during orientation.
Are they warned of what they’re getting into? Does anybody explain just how thick their skin needs to be? Do they tell them just how much reading is involved and how many e-mails they’re going to receive? Does anyone say to them, “You make the rules the rest of us have to live by here in Fayetteville. Don’t eff it up, yo.”
It’s not a job I’d want to have, but after two years of covering the council here on the Flyer, it’s a job I certainly respect. Here’s hoping the new council members do, too.
You should get out of the house tonight. Last night was way too boring.
If you’re into small clubs and live music, Hosta and Real Live Tigers are at Maxine’s. Don’t forget about Hosta’s new record called Bearfish. Also don’t forget that you can listen to it (or download it) for free at hostaband.com.
If you’re not into clubs at all, tonight is the opening night of Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein at Walton Arts Center. If you didn’t win tickets (there were only two winners, sorry), you can get some at waltonartscenter.org.
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jeff Fox
- Walton Arts Center: Young Frankenstein
- Teatro Scarpino: Live jazz
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Soulfly / Straightline Stitch
- Maxine’s: Hosta / Real Live Tigers
- FFEAC Transportation Group: City Hall, Room 111 – 8:30 a.m.
- City Council Agenda Session* (tentative agenda): City Hall, Room 326 – 4:30 p.m.
- Water and Sewer Committee*: City Hall, Room 326 – 5:15 p.m.
- Council / Library Board of Trustees Meet and Greet: Public Library, Walker Room – 5:30 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel