I doubt you missed this, but just in case you were busy popping wheelies all day (or whatever it is you’re into), some crazy stuff went down at a school board meeting in Florida yesterday.
A 56-year-old man opened fire at a school board meeting before shooting himself in the head. Somehow, even at close range, the guy managed to miss everyone he shot at.
One of the most interesting parts of this story is that a woman snuck up behind the guy and tried to knock the gun out of his hand with her purse. This particular act is something we’ve all probably thought we’d try if we ever found ourselves in a similar situation. After all, it happens in Hollywood all the time.
As it turns out, if you’re just a regular ole person (i.e. not a police officer, ninja, TV actor, etc.) you cannot knock a gun out of someone’s hand. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit the hand. It doesn’t matter if you’re using a gigantic leather purse either. What will happen is this: You swing. You hit. The gun stays in the hand. The gun is now pointed at your face.
Barring some kind of miracle (which is the only explanation I can think of for why the guy didn’t pull the trigger on that woman yesterday), you will get shot if you try to knock a gun out of a guy’s hand.
Now you know.
Sorry for spoiling the mood. There’s a whole list of choices for fun today. There’s live music, theatre, Razorback basketball, and a host of public meetings.
- Common Grounds: Tiffany Christopher
- Greenhouse Grille: Dave Malm
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jon Shorter
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: I’m Dreaming of A Dupont Christmas
- Walton Arts Center: Young Frankenstein
- Whole Earth Organic Lounge: Fayetteville’s Got Talent open mic
- Rogue Pizza Co.: What Army / Rollo Tumasi
- UA Basketball – Men: vs. Mississippi Valley St. – Fayetteville – 7:00 p.m. (TV: RSN)
- Technical Plat Review: City Hall, Room 111 – 9:00 a.m.
- New Aldermen Orientation: City Hall, Room 326 – 9:00 a.m.
- Fourth Judicial District Drug Task Force: Springdale Police Department – 1:30 p.m.
- New School Food Drive Presentation: City Hall, Room 219 – 1:30 p.m.
- Nominating Committee Interviews: City Hall, Room 326 – 4:30 p.m.
- Washington County Regional Ambulance Authority: Station 1 at 645 S. School Ave. – 5:00 p.m.