I’m going to have a little talk with Mother Nature, Jack Frost, Weather Dan, or whoever it is that controls the snow output around here.
The way I see it, there is absolutely zero excuse for temperatures as cold as the ones we’ve been having lately if there aren’t significant piles of fluffy white stuff covering the hills to pack into balls and throw at people, or slide around on. And no, the 9 millimeters of snow we got earlier this week does not count.
Come on, Mother Nature. Get with it. Geez.
If you have the blues, feel like getting the blues, or just want to listen to the blues, the place for you is George’s Friday night. Arkansas blues master Michael Burks is playing happy hour in the garden starting at 6 p.m., and Joe Giles is in the lounge at 7 p.m. Later on, local blues guitar slinger Kory Montgomery will play some riffs.
Lucio’s Grown Folks Night returns to Smoke & Barrel Saturday night. This time, DJ Shortfuze, C4, and Lucio himself will provide the beats.
The Razorback basketball team returns to action on Saturday afternoon at 12:47 (seriously) after losing to stupid LSU on Saturday by 3 stupid points. The football Hogs will be recognized at halftime, and according to this Facebook post, you can have your picture taken with the Golden Boot (the trophy from the annual Arkansas / LSU game) while you’re there.
Later on, Randall Shreve and the Sideshow, The Commoners, Perpetual Werewolf, The 1 oz. Jig, and MSG are all playing the Fayetteville 2011 Compilation CD Release Party at George’s. While you’re there, you can pick up the new comp featuring 14 tracks by some awesome local bands. The cover has been reduced to $8, FYI.
The American Heart Association’s 10th Annual Paint the Town Red is happening at the Fayetteville Town Center. If food, drinks, and party tunes by Boom Kinetic sound like your kind of party, Paint the Town Red is probably your kind of party.
Rogue is celebrating JJ from Well, Well, Well’s birthday with Dreamfast, Benedict Arnold, and of course, Well, Well, Well.
Teatro Scarpino has their annual fairy ball on Saturday with North Little Rock band Flameing Daeth Fearies, locals What Army, and DJ’s Deathjest and Infam0us. You could get a copy of What Army’s new CD there, I’ll bet.
If you have skills to show off, there are at least two open mic nights going on in town Sunday night. Howl Open Mic for Women is at Nightbird Books, and Jody’s Living Room is at LIT.
Sunday night movie night returns to Smoke & Barrel this week with a Mel Gibson collection. I don’t know what they’re gonna show, but I hope Braveheart is on the list. That movie still rules.
Tunes-wise, Sauce Pocket is at George’s for Monster Mug Night, or you could stop by and high-five the talented Ms. Shannon Wurst at Pesto Cafe for making it into Pandora.
There’s a lot more below, and as always, feel free to add anything we missed. Happy weekend, everyone.
- Friday, Jan. 14
- Ella’s: Sarah Hughes
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Michael Burks / Joe Giles / Kory Montgomery
- Greenhouse Grille: Jazz: Matt Smith
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jason Strode
- Savor: Tim Paul
- Maxine’s Tap Room: Vince Vandal
- The Wine Cellar: Emily Knight
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Grown Folks Night
- Teatro Scarpino: Big Bad Gina
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Mike Bewley
- Saturday, Jan. 15
- Ozark Natural Foods: Lunch & Learn Series
- Ella’s: Lorie Morris
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Ouachita River Band
- Dickson Theater: Ozark Plantation Band Concert
- Maxine’s Tap Room: Chris Allen Craig & BA Glass
- Fayetteville Town Center: 10th Annual Paint the Town Red
- Herbal Simplicity: The Natural State of America Film Screening
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Flatland Travelers / Sarah Hughes
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Benedict Arnold / Dreamfast / Well well well
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Fayetteville 2011 Compilation Album CD Release Party
- Teatro Scarpino: The 2011 Annual Fairy ball
- Sunday, Jan. 16
- Greenhouse Grille: Beth Stockdell
- Fayetteville Public Library: Peer to Peer Facilitator Training
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: John Harrison Opera Foundation – Opera Screening
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Sauce Pocket
- Nightbird Books: Howl Open Mic for Women
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room open mic
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Mel Gibson movie night
- Terra Studios: Nate Korth & Sunset Adventure