It’s been a pretty quiet week in Fayetteville, due to the fact that most of the 20,000 University of Arkansas students are upside down at a beach bar somewhere with beer bongs in their mouths. Also, some of the girls are probably going wild.
The students will be back in town next week and things will be pretty much back to normal, but this weekend will be mostly student-free.
On the bright side, that means more of the secret, hidden free parking spots downtown will probably be up for grabs (if you head down there) and the lines at the bars will probably be shorter than normal.
There are also some pretty good bands to check out in town this weekend. Do something awesome.
Gary Hutchison of Oreo Blue is having his 9th annual 50th birthday jam (you do the math) during happy hour at George’s with the Nace Brothers, Chris Payton, and Oreo Blue. The late night show features North Carolina alt-country band American Aquarium, Lawrence blues / southern-rock Brody Buster Band and local guitar-slinger Kory Montgomery.
There’s an amazing show at Smoke & Barrel Friday night. Brooklyn folk band JP & The Gilberts are coming through town on their way back from SXSW, along with New York-based singer/songwriter Mal Blum. JP & The Gilberts will also be appearing at Sound Warehouse at around 8 p.m.
Remember back in September when Send + Return, Hosta, and Messy Sparkles played at Maxine’s the weekend of the Alabama game? Well, that same lineup is at The Lightbulb Club on Friday night, plus this time DJ Clunk will be adding his MP3 playing skills to the mix.
The Razorback Baseball team open up a three-game series with Vanderbilt at Baum Stadium this weekend, beginning tonight at 6:35 p.m. It’s gonna be a bit chilly for baseball this weekend, so wear a sweater or something.
The University of Arkansas will formally announce new head basketball coach Mike Anderson at an event set for 10:30 a.m. at Bud Walton Arena. It’s free, open to the public, and Hogs will be called. A lot.
North Mississippi Allstars will be back in Fayetteville for a show Saturday night at George’s. It’s their first trip to town since they released their latest album Keys to the Kingdom, celebrating the life of legendary musician and producer (and Allstars’ Cody and Luther’s father) Jim Dickinson.
The Great Scotts will be at Maxines Saturday night, fresh off the Beastie Boys tribute show they played last weekend. If you ask really nice, maybe you can convince them to work Sabotage into their set of originals.
Conway electronic/experimental band Ginsu Wives will be at The Lightbulb Club with awesome locals Perpetual Werewolf and Glory Bones Saturday night.
Finally, Smoke & Barrel has dance-y, electronic-y pop band Fossils of Ancient Robots (Eureka Springs) on Saturday night. Listen to a few of these tracks.
If you’re a Candy Lee & The Sweets fan, chances are you’ve heard that Candy will soon be moving to Florida. She assured us recently that she’ll come back to town often to play with the Sweets, but it’s probably a good idea to check her out as often as possible between now and May. She’ll be at Greenhouse Grille on Sunday for a 10:30 a.m. brunch show.
Sarah Hughes is George’s for Monster Mug night, and Jody’s Living Room open mic night is happening at LIT.
There’s more below, and feel free to add to the list in the comments.
- Friday, March 25
- Greenhouse Grille: Walter Savage Jazz
- Ella’s: Lorrie Morris
- George’s Majestic Lounge: American Aquarium / Brody Buster Band / Kory Montgomery / Gary Hutchison’s Bday Jam
- Savor: Sarah Hughes
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Keith Nicholson
- The Lightbulb Club: Hosta / Send + Return / Messy Sparkles / DJ Clunk
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Guta / Shreddy Squinty Duo
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Mal Blum / JP & The Gilberts
- Saturday, March 26
- Fayetteville Square: Fayetteville 5K Poker Run
- Ella’s: William Reyes
- Teatro Scarpino: Soul Night
- UARK Ballroom: Phunbags Comedy Improv
- Savor: Sarah Hughes
- Walton Arts Center: Julian Lage Group
- ROTC Grill: Earl & Them
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Catfish Jackson
- George’s Majestic Lounge: North Mississippi Allstars
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Steppin’ Stones
- The Lightbulb Club: Ginsu Wives / Perpetual Werewolf / Glory Bones
- Maxine’s Tap Room: The Great Scotts
- Rogue Pizza Co.: End of Spring Break Bash
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Fossils of Ancient Robots
- Sunday, March 27
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Tree Tales
- Greenhouse Grille: Candy Lee & The Sweets
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Sarah Hughes
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room open mic
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst