Fayetteville has all kinds of musicians. There are rock bands, blues bands, metal bands, jam bands, punk bands, and plenty of cover bands. We’ve got DJs and singer-songwriters. We’ve got hip-hop music, country music, and believe it or not, we’ve even got video game music.
Video game cover bands date back to the late 1990s when the groups began playing club dates with other bands across the country. My first discovery of the genre was in 2000 when the Minibosses opened for Bright Eyes, The Rapture, and The Faint at El Torreon in Kansas City.
Nobody I was with that night had ever heard of a video game band before, but the familiar sounds from our childhood played live through electric guitars and backed by bass and drums were an instant hit with us all.
I’ll admit, I’m a pretty casual game music fan, but of all the groups I’ve heard, none are as meticulous as Fayetteville’s own The OneUps. It’s the details that matter most when it comes to covering songs, which is why these eclectic Mario masterminds have been featured on a host of video game blogs through the years, and have even graced the pixels of MSNBC.com.
See them for yourself tonight at Rogue with locals We Are Kilroy and The Bobby Drivers.
No big deal. Just choose from the list below which includes the first Party on the Patio of the season at Powerhouse, Songs in the ‘Ville at UARK Ballroom, and a handful of live music options at Smoke & Barrel, George’s, JJ’s and more.
The list below
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: UA Tuba Euphonium Ensemble – Concert
- UARK Ballroom: Songs in the Ville
- Powerhouse Seafood: Boom Kinetic
- Rogue Pizza Co.: The OneUps / We Are Kilroy / The Bobby Drivers
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Randy Rogers Band / Roger Creager / South 40
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Darren Ray
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Crazy Neighbor
- City Hall: FFEAC Inclusion Group – 12:00 p.m.
- Airport Conference Room: Airport Board * – 1:30 p.m.
- City Hall: Environmental Action Committee * – 5:30 p.m.
- City Hall: Historic District Commission * – 5:30 p.m.
- New Design School: FFEAC Creative Economy Group – 6:00 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel are indicated with an asterisk