It’s University of Arkansas graduation weekend, and with commencement ceremonies happening all day on Saturday, this town is going to be jam packed with people.
As a result, the calendar of weekend activities is about a mile long, and almost everything on the list sounds awesome. You guys have some tough choices to make.
Bike To Work Week starts soon, and Mayor Jordan will be kicking things off with a proclamation in front of the Town Center at 5:30 p.m. After that, everyone is gonna ride their bikes down to Mellow Mushroom.
Popular web documentary series The Perennial Plate is making a stop in Fayetteville, and Chef Daniel Klein will be at Ozark Natural Foods conducting a cooking demonstration featuring local mushrooms from Sweden Creek Farms at 5 p.m. Just before that, The Old 78’s will be playing from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Happy hour-wise, Big Uns and The Odds will be at George’s beginning at 6 p.m. Later on, locals Jon Shorter Band and Rough Draftz will take the stage.
Over at the Lightbulb Club, We Are Kilroy is playing their last show (at least for a while), and Send + Return will play their fifth show (I’m just guessing on that number). Both bands are pretty awesome.
There’s a big show at Smoke & Barrel Friday night with three really good locals, The Brothel Sprouts, Memphis Pencils and Messy Sparkles.
Two more awesome locals, The 1 Oz Jig and The Great Scotts are at Rogue Friday night. Good luck choosing which show to check out.
Saturday starts with the Farmers’ Market on the Fayetteville square. It just does.
There are two big outdoor music events scheduled for Saturday. Terra Studios is hosting a Spring Music Fest with eight bands beginning at 10 a.m., and Walton Arts Center is hosting a Trail Mix Concert with five bands on the trails at Lake Fayetteville beginning at 3 p.m.
If you feel like checking out some comedy, Fools on Parade are hosting another show at UARK Ballroom featuring five local comedians, and two Tulsa comedians for $5.
If you missed Memphis Pencils on Friday, or if you just want to see them again, they’ll be at George’s on Saturday with Randall Shreve, Monster Heart and Bear Colony.
Are you really good at eating hot dogs? Clunk & Wade’s Man Bites Dog Hot Dog Eating Championship Preliminary Bout is going down at the Lightbulb Club Saturday night. It’s a qualifying round for the hot dog eating championship during the upcoming Block Street Block Party.
Little Rock band EKG is playing with locals Dreamfast and Jarris at Rogue, and Lucio is hosting Grown Folks Graduation with Black Pearl at Smoke & Barrel.
On Sunday night, there’s a big fundraiser for the victims of the crazy tornados that hit Alabama recently at LIT, featuring live music by Keith Nicholson, The Great Scotts, The Odds, and 4 Man Trio. The cover is $5, and donations of essential items (bottled water, first aid supplies, clothing, baby formula, diapers, etc) will be collected. Here’s a Facebook event with more info.
- Friday, May 13
- Ozark Natural Foods: Cooking Demonstration with The Perennial Plate
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: UA Childrens Choir
- Fayetteville Town Center: Bike To Work Week Kick-Off & Mayoral Proclamation
- Greenhouse Grille: Matt Smith
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Big Uns / The Odds / Jon Shorter Band / Rough Draftz
- Jose’s: Cassette
- Ella’s: Sarah Hughes
- Walton Arts Center: Rani arbo & daisy mayhem’s PJ Party for kids
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Madame Ren Lovely
- Foghorn’s on College: Ben Coulter
- GoodFolk: Kate Campbell
- Teatro Scarpino: Soul Night
- UARK Ballroom: Fayetteville Jazz Collective
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Clint Scrivner
- La Huerta – Crossover: Jones ’N Leah
- Hjem Restaurant: Walter Savage & Yaniv T
- The Lightbulb Club: We Are Kilroy / Send & Return
- Rogue Pizza Co.: The 1 Oz Jig / The Great Scotts
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: The Brothel Sprouts / Memphis Pencils / Messy Sparkles
- Saturday, May 13
- Fayetteville Square: Fayetteville Farmers’ Market
- Fayetteville Boys & Girls Club: FMK Charity Rummage Sale
- Walton Arts Center: Swimmy, Frederick and Inch By Inch
- Terra Studios: Spring Music Festival
- Jammin’ Java: Bill Dollar & Loose Change
- Fayetteville Public Library: Screening: The Jungle Book
- Fayetteville Public Library: Family Orchestra Performance
- Lake Fayetteville: Trail Mix Concert Tour
- Ella’s: Yaniv Taubenhouse
- Arkansas Air Museum: Arkansas Air Museum’s Aviator Ball
- The Warehouse: Element of November / Brought to You by Us / Samurai Luncheon
- Trinity United Methodist: Parents’ Night Out Fundraiser
- Speakeasy: Willie Stradlin
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Loose Change
- Foghorn’s on College: Forgetting Last Friday
- UARK Ballroom: Fools on Parade – Stand Up Comedy Show
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Randall Shreve / Memphis Pencils / Monster Heart / Bear Colony
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Maud Crawford
- The Lightbulb Club: Clunk Hot Dog Eating Championship Preliminary Bout
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Rachel Billingsley
- Rogue Pizza Co.: EKG / Dreamfast / Jarris
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Grown Folks Graduation with Black Pearl
- Sunday, May 15
- Jose’s: Zamarath
- Greenhouse Grille: Beth Stockdell
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Tiffany Christopher
- LIT: Alabama tornado victims benefit
- Terra Studios: Jo Jo Mas