Move over a little bit, folks. We’ve got to make room for an extra 20,000 residents.
The University of Arkansas is back in session on Aug. 22, which means that the students who went home for the summer, as well as some of the freshmen, will begin arriving over the weekend to get settled in their dorms, apartments, and houses.
Sure, the lines at the bar may be a bit longer. And yes, you’re going to want to avoid driving down Maple Street for the next few months. But the fact that the students are starting to arrive back in town means that Fayetteville is about to be filled with a whole new energy level that, if you ask me, is one of the (many) amazing things about living here.
Fall in Fayetteville is the best. Get ready for it.
If you like Big Smith, then George’s Majestic Lounge is the place for you Friday night. They’re playing a happy hour show, followed by a Guta show, followed by another Big Smith show (followed by another Guta show) .
How about some rhythm, blues, hip, and hop? Black Pearl will be providing some for the folks at Smoke & Barrel Tavern.
There’s a rock show at Maxine’s Tap Room Friday night with New York punk bands Blackout Shoppers and Skum City, locals Egyptr, and another band called Not On Your Life! (which is an awesome band name).
If Dubstep is your thing, then there is no way you’re going to miss the 1-year anniversary party for NWA Dubstep at Rogue.
Saturday starts with the Farmers’ Market on the Fayetteville square.
You know that guy who rides around on a scooter bringing food to people all over town with his C.H.E.W delivery service? He’s also good at DJ’ing, and he’ll be providing jams at the Lightbulb Club Saturday night along with local band Trasspassers.
There’s a big show at George’s Saturday night with Randall Shreve, The Rocketboys, Bear Colony, The Shady Janes and Silent Waits the Archer. That’s like 100 bands.
Smoke & Barrel has Tyrannosaurus Chicken, and Kory Montgomery is on Kingfish’s new(ish) stage.
One of our favorite band names on the Wakarusa 2011 lineup was Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band. As it turns out, several people who saw them on Mulberry Mountain this year told us they were one of their favorite acts at the festival. On Sunday night, they’ll be at George’s for a show. Prediction? Booty shaking.
Also of note, the Billy Joe Shaver show also planned for George’s Sunday night will be rescheduled for a later date.
There’s tons more below. Feel free to add anything we missed in the comments. Go crazy.
Locals: Christy Jones Worsham, Brittany Genge, D.j. Duck, Hannah Bradford, Jay Swearengin, Molly Morton, Rachel Moline, Steven Smith, Susan Michelle Linnen, Leana Houston, Brandon Colley, Cambre Horne-Brooks, Brandon E. Hogerty, Brandon Herbert, Barry Gabbert, Carin Schoppmeyer, Eric Knowles, Trevor Sites, Stephen Ragle, Chris Brower, Carole Anne Boyd Haws, Barbara J. Springer, Charis Lykins, Kaycie Beard, Kyle Reidy, John Elliott, Sharon McBeth, Mary Robbins, Yevette Cunningham Robinson, Lori West, Terryn Weygandt, and Rebecca Lynn Buchanan.
Friday, Aug. 12
- Hjem Restaurant: Smith & Reed
- Kingfish: Keith Nicholson
- Rowdy Beaver Den: Cathead Biscuit
- Rogue Pizza Co.: NWA Dubstep 1 Year Anniversary
- Billy’s Grill: Joe Giles & The Homewreckers
- Jammin’ Java: The Kate and Allen Duo
- I.M. Spa: Carol Florida Art Reception
- Ella’s: William Reyes
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Big Smith / Guta
- Greenhouse Grille: Walter Savage Jazz
- Savor: Tiffany Christopher
- Foghorn’s on College: Ben Coulter
- West End: Barrett Baber
- Jose’s: The Odds
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: The Flight to Light
- JJ’s Grill: Nu Unyun
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: R.J. Misho
- The Wine Cellar: Chris Craig
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Black Pearl
- Maxine’s Tap Room: Not On Your Life! / Blackout Shoppers / Skum City / Egyptr
Saturday, Aug. 13
- Maxine’s Tap Room: Potions / Real Live Vikings / The Drunkards
- ROTC Grill: The Barflies
- Jose’s: Red Ambition
- Fayetteville Public Library: Cellist Mike Block & The Ranch Camp Musicians
- Rowdy Beaver Den: Catfish Jackson
- Big Momma’s: DJ EJ
- UARK Ballroom: Fayetteville Jazz Collective
- Kingfish: Kory Montgomery
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- Savor: Josh & Jody
- Foghorn’s on College: Will Brand
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Randall Shreve / The Rocketboys / Bear Colony / Shady Janes / Silent Waits the Archer
- JJ’s Grill: Wes & Karl
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Bruce Parker and Friends
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Tyrannosaurus Chicken
- JR’s Lightbulb Club: Trasspassers / Music Button Pusher Clunk
Sunday, Aug. 14