A new concourse at Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA) will open to the public Sept. 1. Local leaders yesterday got a sneak peek of the new $20 million wing which includes 11 gates, a new restaurant, gift shop, free Wi-Fi and Arkansas’ first moving sidewalk. (KFSM)
The Cosmopolitan Hotel in downtown Fayetteville is set for a complete renovation once its new owners close the deal on the purchase. Expect a temporary closure followed by a reopening in fall 2012 with a four-star rating and a new name. (NWAOnline)
According to an Arkansas Traveler article, UA campus parking lots “two and 36” are being closed permanently to make room for construction projects. Lot 36 is at Douglas and Storer. We couldn’t find lot two on the university’s parking map. Anybody? (Arkansas Traveler)
Locals: Jeromy Weldon, Jacqueline Arsaga, Gabriel Daffron, Peter Horton, and Wally Waller.
Others: Game show host Monty Hall is 90, actor Sean Connery is 81, talk show host Regis Philbin is 80, singer Gene Simmons is 62, musician Elvis Costello is 57, director Tim Burton is 53, singer Billy Ray Cyrus is 50, TV chef Rachael Ray is 43, and actress Blake Lively is 24.
Are you a student? Can you pass for one? Wanna score some free pizza, koozies, contact lens solution, XXL white t-shirts and a bunch of pens? Then head on over to the UA Student Union lawn for Razorbash from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today.
If you’re a fan of Fayetteville photography, HD photography, or better yet, both, (that’s a lot of commas) you should introduce yourself to the works of the late Steve Moore. Specifically, Moore’s The Fayetteville Panorama Project. You can get acquainted starting tonight at the Anne Kittrell Art Gallery on the UA campus where a reception will be held at 7 p.m. If you can’t make it tonight, head over sometime in the next few days. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Also tonight, Art Amiss holds its fashion event at Matt Miller Studios, Smoke & Barrel hosts another round of Double Tough, and Boom! Kinetic plays Powerhouse’s Party on the Patio.
There’s way more, too.
- UA Student Union: Razorbash
- Kingfish: Barret Baber
- Ozark Natural Foods: Cooking demo with Stephanie Harper
- Matt Miller Studios: Art Amiss Fashion Event
- JJ’s Grill: TJ Scarlett
- UA Student Union: Steve Moore & the Fayetteville Panorama Project reception
- Powerhouse Seafood: Boom! Kinetic
- Foghorn’s on College: Jeff Carey
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Turnpike Troubadours / Shane Smith and The 6 Gun Saints / Montgomery Trucking
- Jose’s: Traveling Wheelbearings
- Pesto Cafe: Sarah Hughes
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: S. Michael Shuman – Piano Recital
- Scarpino: Fayetteville Square Dance
- Dickson Street Pub: Matt Chambers / Will Brand
- Rowdy Beaver Den: Karaoke
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Jeff Kearney
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Shortfuze’s Double Tough
- Adams Leadership Center: Fayetteville School Board (agenda) – 5:00 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 111: Housing Authority Board of Commissioners * – 6:00 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 326: Fayetteville Council of Neighborhoods * – 6:00 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel are indicated with an asterisk