I wish there was something fun happening in Fayetteville this weekend.
Like a big hip-hop show with a bunch of awesome MCs and DJs from Little Rock.
It would be nice if there was an music festival in town with a lot of local food to eat, and great local, regional and national roots/Americana musicians to check out.
At the very least, it would be cool if there was a comedy show or two (or three) to watch, and have a few laughs.
Oh wait, all of those things are happening in Fayetteville this weekend. That’s not all, either. Check it.
The Reckless Kelly show at George’s Friday night is approaching a sellout, as indicated by the little orange flame on their ticketing site. Just so you know. Also, Brave Combo is playing happy hour.
There’s a big Rock City Kicks Launch Party at Smoke & Barrel Friday night. As of this morning, 450 people have RSVP’d to the Facebook event created for the show. In other words, if you’re planning to get in to see Epiphany, Lucio, Lo Thraxx, DJ Fatality, and DJ Discipline tonight, you’d better get there early.
How about some stand-up comedy? Fools on Parade is back at UARK Ballroom, featuring local comedians Troy Gittings, Zac “The Crusher” Slusher, Brian “Brian Spence” Spence, Brett Robinson, Black & Tan, and Tulsa funny-people Stephen King and Steven Baucom.
How about some free bluegrass? Lonesome Road Bluegrass is playing a back porch concert at Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. For free.
Kingfish has an early show with Kevin Bennoch, and later on Joe Mack, Cody Russel (Guta) & Stacy Liles (Jr. Soapbox) are playing.
Former Fayettevillians and current Nashvillians (well, at least two band members are) Heypenny are back in town for a show at Rogue Pizza Co. with Tommy & the High Pilots and Stamps. Heypenny just got a song in a Honda commercial. Also, it looks like Fossils of Ancient Robots are playing.
Remember when we told you guys recently about a new Fayetteville historical photo book called Fayetteville: Images of America? Well, authors Charles Alison and Ellen Compton will be at Nightbird Books on Saturday to talk about that book
There’s music all day, in pretty much every nook and cranny of the Walton Arts Center Saturday, thanks to the Fayetteville Roots Festival. Here’s more info on that.
There are two shows at Kingfish Saturday night. Show number one features Damn Arkansan and Joe Sundell from about 8 p.m. until 11 p.m. Later on, Sarah Hughes, Charliehorse, and Mark Bilyeu (Big Smith) will play the Roots Festival after party from 11 p.m. – 2 a.m.
There’s also a back-to-class bash at George’s Majestic Lounge with Andy Frasco in the lounge, and a nearly-sold-out country show in the garden with Josh Abbott Band.
The fun continues on Sunday with two Fayetteville Roots Festival shows at Greenhouse Grille. There’s a brunch one for free, and a finale party later on for $20.
Wanna hear some local songwriters talk about music, and celebrate the release of a new local-music check out program at Fayetteville Public Library? Then you should go to the “That Fayetteville Sound” kickoff from 2-4 p.m. in the library’s Walker Community Room.
George’s Majestic Lounge has Big Bad Gina for a 7 p.m. Sunday happy hour, and Sarah Hughes Band is playing Monster Mug night.
Finally, there’s another comedy show at UARK Ballroom with Paul Hooper and Amy Pannell.
Locals: Alicia Lovvorn Gray, Amanda Jane Sandor, Kim Knight Dutton, Danny Austin Kearney, Aurora Vicari, Erica Graser, Mike Mohney, Macleod Dent Otter-Sawyer, Michelle Key, Rod Freeman, Starr Austin, Stephanie Funk McCratic, Steve Stewart, Adrienne Kincaid Murphy, Sarah Catherine Glover, Donald Upton, BJ Elkins, Laura Polaski, Julie Pennington, Lea Glasscock, Dana Gieringer, Micah Blackmon, Lynn Townsend, Wayne Smith, Stephanie Riggs, Rebecca Miles, Katie McKnight Langham, Patricia Patton, Rachel Larson, Jennifer Carter, Kathy Britain, Saleh Faur, Shaun Williams, Regina Rae, and Richy Mc Cusker.
Send us your local birthday shout outs.
Friday, Aug. 26
- Kingfish: Kevin Bennoch / Joe Mack, Cody Russel & Stacy Liles
- Hjem Restaurant: Acoustic Addiction
- Ella’s: William Reyes
- Greenhouse Grille: Tiffany Christopher
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Jimmy Mack Harris Band
- West End: Will Brand
- Savor: Miles Ralston
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: FREE Back Porch Bluegrass Concert
- Foghorn’s on College: Michael Shaw
- Jose’s: Cassette
- UARK Ballroom: Stand Up Comedy featuring Fools on Parade
- Walton Arts Center: Warren Wolf – Summer Jazz
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Heypenny / Tommy & the High Pilots / Stamps
- Dickson Street Pub: Justin Leflar / Nathan McLeod
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Brave Combo / Reckless Kelly
- JJ’s Grill: Daryl Brooks Band
- JR’s Lightbulb Club: Hyena / Taifas / Forever Blowing Bubbles
- Scarpino: Son7 with DJ Tonny
- The Wine Cellar: Jovan & Jake
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Rock City Kicks Launch Party
Saturday, Aug. 27
- Walton Arts Center: Fayetteville Roots Festival
- Nightbird Books: Charles Alison and Ellen Compton
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- Savor: Walter Savage and Friends
- Foghorn’s on College: Effron White
- Jose’s: Boston Mountain Playboys
- Kingfish: Damn Arkansan / Joe Sundell / Charliehorse / Mark Bilyeu
- UARK Ballroom: Phunbags Comedy Improv
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Michael Scott
- Dickson Street Pub: Matt Chambers / Nathan Roten
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Cadillac Jackson
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Andy Frasco’s Back to Class Bash / Josh Abbott Band
- JJ’s Grill: Barett Baber
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Cathead Biscuit
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: MSG
Sunday, Aug. 28