Robb Jones, the Fayetteville Animal Shelter’s veterinarian, is going to have a busy week. Saturday’s free dog adoption event at the shelter placed 71 dogs into new homes, all of which will be spayed or neutered before they are released to their new owners. (KHOG)
Fort Smith’s 2011 Festival on the Border appears to have been a success. Directors for the event said 20,000 people attended the first-year event which featured Girl Talk, The Fray, Dierks Bentley and more. (KFSM)
In case you missed it earlier, the Walton Arts Center’s $3.7 million renovation of the Arkansas Music Pavilion got a $500,000 boost yesterday from the Fayetteville Advertising and Promotion Commission. (Fayetteville Flyer)
Locals: Joanna Pollock, John C. Fisk, TJ Carpenter, Kara Kennel and Debi Sanchez Grimm.
Others: Singer Peter Cetera is 67, actress Christine Estabrook is 61, singer-guitarist Dave Mustaine is 50, radio/TV personality Tavis Smiley is 47, singer Fiona Apple is 34, and actor Ben Savage is 31.
With an 80 percent chance of rain today in Fayetteville, it might be a good idea to plan something indoors this evening.
Tonight’s calendar list isn’t too long, but there are a few indoor choices that sound fun.
If you’re into jazz, seeing the Nathan McLeod Group is always a good choice with its rotating cast of excellent area jazz musicians. Tonight, the group is at Scarpino at 8 p.m. where they’ll focus on some original compositions with Nathan McLeod on sax and flute, Yaniv Taubenhouse on piano, Drew Packard on bass and Ken Everts on drums.
Also tonight, it’s times for another OLIVE event at George’s, Jeff Fox is at JJ’s, and there’s a free comedy open mic at West End.
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- JJ’s Grill: Jeff Fox
- Arts Live Theatre: Teenagers from Outer Space auditions
- West End: Comedy open mic night
- Pesto Cafe: Jed Clampit
- Scarpino: Live jazz – Nathan McLeod Group
- George’s Majestic Lounge: OLIVE-Pirate Show w/ Shortfuze / Shane Reed / Spiff / Jeff House
- Tangerine: IIIrdI
- City Hall, Room 326: City Council Agenda Session * (agenda)- 4:30 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 326: Water and Sewer Committee * – 5:15 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel are indicated with an asterisk