Today is the last day to vote early in the 1-cent sales tax renewal election. The penny accounts for more than one-eighth of the entire city budget and goes into Fayetteville’s general operating and capital improvements funds which provide road work, sidewalk and trail construction, and employee payroll.
In case you haven’t been following the issue, the tax is 18 years old and must be renewed by voters every 10 years. It was first adopted in 1993 by a vote of 3,675 to 619. It renewed in 2002 by a vote of 2,531 to 789.
To cast an early vote, head over to the County Clerk’s office at 280 N. College Ave. before 4:30 p.m. today.
Locals: Bryan Ross, Jason Steffes, Branden Lee, Gary Boyle, Debbi Layman, Christy Tu Jobe, Bernie Jungkind, Theresa Reeder, Micah Mae, Jonathan Holder, Molly Clark, Jesse Thomas, Stephen Shanks and Joseph Israel.
Others: Singer David Lee Roth is 57, singer Tanya Tucker is 53, actress Julia Sweeney is 52, former NFL quarterback Brett Favre is 42, actor/TV personality Mario Lopez is 38, NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is 36, pro skateboarder Bob Burnquist is 35 and singer Mya is 32.
*Send us your local birthday shout outs.
Chicago band Netherfriends are in town tonight for a free show at Smoke & Barrel Tavern. Local favorites Memphis Pencils and Messy Sparkles are also back in Fayetteville and will round out the bill. Nashville’s Kopecky Family Band were set to play, too, but have cancelled due to an illness.
Also tonight, there’s metal at Rogue with Skeletonwitch, VORE and Abacinated, and a few singer-songwriters are playing around town.
- JJ’s Grill: Cable Hogue
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Skeletonwitch / VORE / Abacinated
- The Perk: Open acoustic jam
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Memphis Pencils / Netherfriends / Messy Sparkles
- Pesto Cafe: Darren Ray
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Guest artist, Michael Burritt – percussion
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Blues Jam
- Powerhouse Seafood: Karaoke
- City Hall Town Center: Advertising and Promotion Commission * (agenda) – 2:00 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 219: Planning Commission * – 5:30 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel are indicated with an asterisk