Three Fayetteville properties were officially added to the National Register of Historic Places this month.
Fayetteville Fire Station 1, former Fayetteville Fire Station 3, and the David and Mary Margaret Durst house were all approved after being nominated earlier this year, according to recent news releases from the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.
Fire Station 1, located at 303 W. Center St., was built in 1963 and reflects a Mid-Century Modern design by local architect T.E. Shelton. It was constructed as part of a city-wide development plan following the end of World War II.
Fire Station 3, at 4140 S. School St., was also built in 1963 by Shelton.
“This building provides an outstanding example of Mid-Century Modern construction in Northwest Arkansas,” states the nomination. “Furthermore, it is the best non-educational example in Fayetteville of noted local architect T.E. Shelton’s work.”
The Durst house, located at 857 Fairview Dr. was built in 1951 and was an early example of mid-century modern design.
“The Durst House was designed and built by Arkansas architect John G. Williams for David and Mary Margaret Durst and their family,” according to the nomination. “The role of David Durst in the history of the University of Arkansas, as the chair of the Department of Art from 1946 to 1967, and his early experiences and education played an important part in the creation of his own house. The Durst house became an important gathering place for many of the influential members of the art and architecture communities in Arkansas and many of the University of Arkansas’s visiting dignitaries.”
Several other Arkansas properties were included on the National Register. They are the Wilson High School gymnasium and the Wilson Community Club House, both in Wilson; the West Church Street Historic District and Moose Addition Neighborhood, both in Morrilton; First Lutheran Church in Hot Springs; the Tyronza Methodist Episcopal Church in Poinsett County; Kocourek and Son Hardware in Hazen; the Billings-Cole house in Malvern; and the Dr. John Grace house and hospital near Belleville.
The Historic Preservation Program is awaiting word on two other Washington County properties nominated this year: the historic section of the Prairie Grove Cemetery at U.S. 62 and Parker Street in Prairie Grove; and the Prairie Grove Airlight outdoor telephone booth at U.S. 62 and Kate Smith Street.
The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency that identifies, evaluates, registers and preserves the state’s cultural resources. For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, visit arkansaspreservation.org.