Isaiah Joe will re-enter the 2020 NBA Draft, the Fort Smith native announced on Monday.
The decision comes just over two weeks after the Arkansas junior guard said he would return to Fayetteville for another season. He had until Monday to make his final decision.
Joe will forgo his final two years of college eligibility.
— Isaiah Joe (@Isaiah_joe10) August 17, 2020
“Due to the COVID-19 virus and the unprecedented cancellation of fall sports by several major college conferences in the past week, I believe it is in my best interest to forego the remainder of my college eligibility and re-enter the NBA Draft in time for the league’s Aug. 17 deadline for underclassmen to declare,” Joe posted in an announcement on Twitter.
“My announcement on Aug. 1 to return to school for another season as a Razorback was made with whole-hearted excitement and sincerity, but a lot has happened in a short period of time since then to increase the uncertainty that college sports will be played this season.”
Joe is the second Arkansas basketball player to declare for the draft this year. Junior guard Mason Jones declared in late March and has since signed with an agent.
Arkansas’ lack of depth forced both to play heavy minutes last season. Jones averaged 33.7 minutes a game and Joe 36.0. Those minutes allowed Jones to average an SEC-leading 22 points per game and Joe 16.9 points per game.
“We will always support our players when they decide to chase their NBA dream,” said Arkansas head coach Eric Musselman. “We will continue to help Isaiah in any way we can and wish him nothing but the best. Zai has cemented his legacy at Arkansas and will forever be a Razorback.”
The NBA Draft was rescheduled from late June to Oct. 16.