Rotnei Clarke is officially a former Razorback.
The University of Arkansas on Monday announced that Clarke has been granted a release from his scholarship, and is free to pursue an education and a basketball career elsewhere.
Clarke told a CBSSports.com reporter last week that he asked Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson for a release, and that Anderson would not grant it.
The University of Arkansas’ side of that story is that Anderson told Clarke he would have to talk to Athletic Director Jeff Long if he wanted out of his scholarship at the UA.
From the release:
“Upon receiving a written request and meeting with him today, as part of our review process, it is clear to me that it is in the best interests of everyone for Rotnei to continue his academic and athletic career elsewhere,” Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said. “We wish him well and hope that he finds what he is searching for at a new institution.”
“I wish Rotnei Clarke the best as he moves on,” Arkansas head men’s basketball coach Mike Anderson said. “Shortly after I arrived, I met with him and was given every indication that he wanted to be a part of our program moving forward. Recently, Rotnei informed me of his intent to leave the University of Arkansas. At that time, I informed him that he would need to speak with the athletic director regarding his request. I then recommended to Jeff Long that we grant him a release to allow him to speak to other schools.
Whatevs. Moving on.