Let’s test my psychic abilities.
It’s going to be hotter than hades for the entire weekend. One of you guys are going to see the final Harry Potter movie. Another one of you is going to have too much to drink (on purpose).
One of you is going to argue with those bearded dudes holding the signs on Dickson Street. Three of you are going to eat a lot of tacos after all the bars close.
Lastly, someone with either an A or an E in their name has a great grandmother that has passed on to the other side. She says hello.
Let me know how I did on Monday. Happy weekend.
First things first. The weekend has begun, and you’re going to need some happy hour tunes and a happy hour drink. Nace Brothers play the early show at George’s, and Kory Montgomery Band will play later on.
There is a crazy awesome surf show at Smoke & Barrel that you probably don’t wan’t to miss with Huntsville, Alabama’s Daikaiju. Listen to a couple of these tracks, and look at how crazy they look (above) with those masks on.
At West End, there’s a benefit improvements to the baseball facilities at Walker Park. Here’s a bit more information about that.
Also, some of Fayetteville’s favorite country-rocking-mammer-jammers (Charliehorse) are at Kingfish.
A good thing to do on Saturday morning is head up to the Fayetteville square, and hang out with some farmers. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it.
Remember earlier this week when we told you about Firefly Fling: The Summer Festival for Families, happening at the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks? That’s happening Saturday night.
Also earlier this week, our friend Roger did a Q&A with Matthew Henriksen about the reading of Frank Stanford’s work at Nightbird Books. That’s also happening Saturday night.
Tunes wise, there are a zillion bands at George’s on Saturday, including Benjamin Del Shreve, Kingsdown, Jon Shorter Band, Wavedrop Scholars and Army of Birds.
There’s a benefit for Arkansans For Compassionate Care at Smoke & Barrel Saturday night, featuring Cletus Got Shot, DJ Hod-I, and The Fat.
Are you good at spelling? Maybe you could win the Drunken Spelling Bee Grand Championship at the Lightbulb Club. Maybe.
The two places that we’ve heard for sure will be open and showing the women’s World Cup final between the USA and Japan on Sunday afternoon are Micky Finn’s and Smoke & Barrel. Owners of both of those establishments told us so themselves. If you know of other places, feel free to add them in the comments.
There’s an afternoon show at George’s with Pioneers of Rock and Roll from 2-8 p.m. Expect an all-star cast of some longtime Fayetteville musicians jamming their ass off. They did the same thing last year at around this time.
Finally, there’s a Sunday night show at Smoke & Barrel with Fungi Girls, and locals Voyageurs and Taifas.
There’s more below. Add to the list if you want in the comments. Do something awesome.
- Friday, July 15
- JR’s Lightbulb Club: Brothel Sprouts / Thunderlizards
- West End: Walker Park renovation benefit
- Savor: Teddy & Jody
- Jose’s: Staggering Odds
- Hjem Restaurant: Walter Savage
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Kelly Road
- Foghorn’s on College: Sarah Hughes
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Kory Montgomery Band / Nace Brothers
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: John Cook
- JJ’s Grill: Barett Baber
- Kingfish: Charliehorse
- The Wine Cellar: Chris Craig
- ROTC Grill: Joe Giles & The Homewreckers
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Bill Dollar & Loose Change
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Daikaiju
- Saturday, July 16
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Lewis & Clark Outfitters: Road Bike Ride
- Greenhouse Grille: Stevie Tombstone
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Firefly Fling: The Summer Festival for Families
- Savor: Miles Ralston
- Jose’s: Staggering Odds
- UARK Ballroom: Phunbags Comedy Improv
- Foghorn’s on College: Effron White
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Benjamin Del Shreve / Kingsdown / Jon Shorter Band / Wavedrop Scholars / Army of Birds
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Jeremy Dryer
- JJ’s Grill: The Eoff Brothers
- Kingfish: Keith Nicholson
- Nightbird Books: Bill Willett and Matthew Henriksen reading Frank Stanford
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Cletus Got Shot / DJ Hod-I / The Fat
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Kory Montgomery
- Rogue Pizza Co.: Groovement / Jamstring
- Walton Arts Center: KUAF Summer Jazz Concert Series
- JR’s Lightbulb Club: JR’s Drunken Spelling Bee Grand Championship
- Sunday, July 17
- Greenhouse Grille: Beth Stockdell
- Common Grounds: Sarah Hughes
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Pioneers of Rock
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room open mic
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Fungi Girls / Voyageurs / Taifas
- ROTC Grill: Benefit for Bob Moers