Walton Arts Center has another big Broadway performance coming up February 11-16, and while the title may not be familiar, there are still plenty of reasons why this show is worth adding to your calendar. Here are our five top reasons why you should see Once on This Island:
1. Once on This Island is based on the 1985 book My Love, My Love by Rosa Guy, which is a retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Little Mermaid. Both stories feature a young girl enamored with a young man just outside of her “reach,” but ready to risk it all for love. In Once on This Island, the main character Ti Moune sets out on a remarkable journey to reunite with the man who has captured her heart. It’s a “captivating and enchanting musical fairy tale” (The Hollywood Reporter) that “gives the warmest welcome to all, helping us believe in the healing power of love” (Chicago Tribune).
2. A love story? Perfect timing! The Friday evening performance of Once on This Island falls on Valentine’s Day. What better way to spend time with the one you love than a memorable night out at the theater? For an “extra” Valentine’s experience, celebrate with your sweetheart on Saturday, Feb. 15 and join us before the evening performance for a Cocktail Class led by the master mixologists from Cannibal & Craft. Two cocktails & appetizers are included in your purchase. Cocktail Class tickets are sold separately here.
3. For the Broadway aficionados – Once on This Island won the 2018 Tony Award for Best Musical Revival and was written by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, the Tony Award-winning songwriters of Anastasia (coming to WAC in March) and Ragtime. This show is coming direct from Broadway on its first National Tour, so Northwest Arkansas audiences will be some of the first to see the touring production!
4. Once on This Island is set on a storm-ravaged island in the Caribbean. The pieces, props and staging offer an immersive theatrical experience using nature’s most striking elements – fire, rain, sand and wind. You can expect to experience these elements first hand as you join Ti Moune on her journey. Originally staged in the round, the touring production has adapted its set to incorporate on-stage seating for audience members for just $25.
5. Buy one ticket, get one FREE! This applies to all performances and all price levels, but excludes on-stage seating. To access this deal, enter the promo code ANTILLES before selecting your seats. Your discount will be automatically applied at check out.
Tickets to Once on This Island are on sale now! Purchase by calling the Walton Arts Center Box Office at 479.443.5600 or by visiting at waltonartscenter.org.