If I had to sum up the weather we’re experiencing in Fayetteville right now in one word or less, that word would be “gross.”
If it had to be in less than one word, I’d say “gros”, or “gro.” I hope I never have to describe the weather or anything else in less than one word. That’s ridiculous.
Weather this gross is the reason seasonal affective disorder exists. The only cures that I know of for this gray, muddy mess in Fayetteville are face-scorching guitar solos, hot dance beats, or giant mounds of chips, salsa and beer.
Luckily for all of us, there is no shortage of any of those things in Fayetteville this weekend. I think we’re going to make it.
Friday night, Cross Canadian Ragweed returns to town for the first of two shows at Georges Majestic Lounge this weekend. Zack Walther will open the show, and Oreo Blue will play happy hour from 6:00-8:00 p.m. All of these shows will contain at least three face-scorching guitar solos.
The Sugar Free Allstars also make their triumphant return to Fayettenam (their words) Friday at Smoke and Barrel. They’re from Oklahoma City, but they stop in every once in a while to make sure we’re keeping Fayetteville funky.
Finally, Baby Armie and Rev. Stiles will present Bombay Brouhaha Friday night at Speakeasy. It’s a Bollywood-themed dance party featuring music from vintage Indian and Pakistani films as well as bhangra, Punjabi, and other music from the region. Remember those hot dance beats I told you about? More on that here.
Saturday morning, Hope Cancer Resources present their 12th annual Le Chocolate Feast at the Northwest Arkansas Mall. Over 10 local restaurants will serve various creations of chocolate. Admission is $10.
Tomorrow night, Art Amiss and KXUA will release a compilation featuring over 20 Arkansas Punk bands at Smoke and Barrel. $5 gets you a copy of the compilation, as well as admission to see The Plaid Jackets, Genome Chomsky, The Magic Hassle (featuring David Slade and Matt Quinn of American Princes), and Fire Don’t Care.
Also on Saturday, the Backwoods Betties will be taking on the Mo-Kan Roller Girls at Starlight Skatium. If you don’t have tickets, you’d better get ’em. The last bout sold out.
SARPA hosts its 5th annual fashion show “Starry Night” at the Fayetteville Town Center Saturday. Also, there are two shows at Walton Arts Center, with Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny at 11:00 a.m., and Cyro Baptista’s “Banquet of the Spirits” at 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
On Sunday, there are some brunch tunes to check out with Kevin Baker at Greenhouse Grille, and DJ SoulFree at Common Grounds.
There’s some kind of big football game going on that a few of you will be watching on Sunday afternoon, and Guta is at George’s for Monster Mug Night.
More stuff is listed below and as always, if we’ve left anything out, feel free to share it in the comments. What are you doing this weekend?
- Friday, Feb. 5
- Jose’s: The Odds
- Qdoba Mexican Grill: The Phosphones
- Teatro Scarpino: DJ Omar
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: The Blacktop Boys
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: Dinner & Movie: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- Speakeasy: Bombay Brouhaha: A Bollywood Dance Party
- Rogue: Bent Grass Green – Happy Hour
- Ultra Studios: Path Hennon’s Herstorical Reflection, Big Bad Gina
- Grub’s: Boom! Kinetic
- Boom Boom Room: Pretty Pink Boa, Well well well, Plaid Jackets
- George’s: Cross Canadian Ragweed, Oreo Blue, Zack Walther
- GoodFolk: Darlene
- Greenhouse Grille: Adele and the Matts
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Kelly Road
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Sugar Free Allstars
- Saturday, Feb. 6
- Qdoba Mexican Grill: Skinny Jazz Quartet
- Jose’s: Jamie Wolfe
- NWA Mall: Le Chocolate Feast 2010
- Starlight Skatium: Roller Derby: Backwoods Betties vs. Mo-Kan Roller Girlz
- Fayetteville Town Center: Starry Night: 5th Annual SARPA Fashion Show
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Arkansas Punk! CD release
- Rogue: 1 oz.Jig
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Buddy Shute
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Garden Cleanup
- Boom Boom Room: People in the Paper
- George’s: Cross Canadian Ragweed, Zack Walther
- Greenhouse Grille: Jed Clampit
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Wes Hart & Karl
- Teatro Scarpino: RJ Mischo, Pat Bryant
- Walton Arts Center: Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny
- Walton Arts Center: Cyro Baptista’s “Banquet of the Spirits”
- Sunday, Feb. 7
- Common Grounds: DJ SoulFree, Jones & Leah
- George’s: Guta
- Greenhouse Grille: Kevin Baker
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Paige Grilliot Voice Recital
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst