According to current poll in the sidebar of the Flyer, about half of you guys are flat out ticked about the new paid parking initiative in the Dickson St. area. About a third of you are fine with it, and the rest of you aren’t sure what to think.
As divisive, controversial, and exhausting as the paid parking issue may be right now, and as much as we’ve pretty much discussed it to death over the last few weeks, let’s not forget that there are still several things that we can all agree on.
For example, there’s no one who doesn’t like these cooler temperatures we’ve been experiencing in the mornings and evenings lately. No one can deny that Candy Lee made the most adorable video promo for last night’s CD release party that has ever been created. We all know that chips and salsa are the most delicious food known to man (don’t deny it). Also, Ole Miss sucks.
See? We aren’t so different. Let’s all check out some live music together this weekend.
The Botanical Garden of the Ozarks will host the second show in their Summer concert series, with a Backyard Bluegrass event featuring Lonesome Road.
Do you like jamming? Flatland Travelers (Stillwater, OK) are back in town for a show at Smoke and Barrel with Fatty Lumpkin. It’s actually one of three chances to see Fatty Lumpkin this weekend. They’ll be at Sound Warehouse for an in-store performance at 6 p.m., and if you miss them on Friday, you could see them at Rogue on Saturday.
Do you like raving? Whole Earth Organic Lounge has something called “Razors-Back Rave,” with Utrasonic Nozzle, DJ Vaxination, Ionic Phunk featuring Beat Mashta on Guitar, DJ Amritaji, and Electronic Stimulus Package. Prediction: dancing.
The weather is going to be perfect for the Farmers’ Market Saturday morning on the square.
While you’re down there, maybe you should stop by the Fayetteville Underground for some Art Talk with Megan Chapman. She’ll be discussing Christian Demare’s photography show “Ghosts in the Landscape #2,” now on display in the Hive Gallery at 11 a.m.
If you missed DJ Chicken George at George’s on Friday, you can see him at Lucio’s Grown Folks Night at Smoke and Barrel Saturday night.
Finally, the fine gentlemen of 1 oz Jig will release their self-titled new CD at George’s Saturday night. Kaboom, a new percussion ensemble will open the show with their West African drumming skills.
The first ever Fayetteville Roots Festival is going down at Greenhouse Grille on Sunday. Bigtime. Today is the last day to buy tickets online for $22, and they’ll be available at pre-order prices all day at Greenhouse Grille on Saturday. It’s probably a good idea to go ahead and get them. Only 175 tickets are available, and reserved tables are already sold out. It all starts with a free preview during brunch, and the ticketed show begins at 5 p.m.
Mountain Sprout is at George’s for Monster Mug Night this week. Some of their songs are about weed.
Oakland, CA’s The Dashing Suns are at Smoke and Barrel Sunday night with Skinny Jazz. I’d these words and listen to a couple songs if I were you. Last we heard, Messy Sparkles may jump on the bill as well.
Finally, Jody’s Living Room open mic night is at LIT. Maybe you should head out and see some of Fayetteville’s emerging talent.
There’s a million other things happening this weekend, and as always, feel free to let us know what we missed in the comments. Do someting awesome.
- Friday, Aug. 27
- Savor: Derek & Ricky
- Boom Boom Room: Black Birds
- UA Student Union: Groovin’ on the Grass
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Jay Yates
- George’s: Earl & Them / Hardaway & The Commoners / DJ Chicken George
- Sound Warehouse: Fatty Lumpkin
- Ella’s: Lori Morris
- Greenhouse Grille: Walter Savage
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Jose’s: John D. Levan
- Mojo’s: Tiffany Christopher
- Teatro Scarpino: Neta Salsa Band
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Backyard Bluegrass Concert
- Foghorn’s on College: Sarah Hughes
- ROTC: Jim Mills Band
- Damgoode Pies: Junior Soapbox
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: Arts Live Theatre Awards
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Flatland Travelers / Fatty Lumpkin
- GoodFolk: Austin Lounge Lizards
- Lewis Soccer Complex: Soccer Kick Off Celebration Movie-The Big Green
- Whole Earth Organic Lounge: The Organic Razors-Back Rave
- Saturday, Aug. 28
- Fayetteville Underground: Art Talk: Megan Chapman
- Boom Boom Room: Dova
- First United Presbyterian Church: Ozark Girls Chorus Auditions
- Nightbird Books: The Carnival of the Animals Storytime
- Whole Earth Organic Lounge: GBmojo & Jorian Oxygen
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Wes & Karl
- Mojo’s: Randall Shreve
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Darren Ray
- Foghorn’s on College: Tommy Nolen
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Darren Ray
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Lucio Presents: DJ Chicken George
- ROTC: The Barflies
- Rogue: Army of Birds / Fatty Lumpkin / Peter, Paul & Pelphrey
- George’s: 1 oz. Jig / Kaboom
- Sunday, Aug. 29
- Common Grounds: Tiffany Christopher / DJ SoulFree
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Bountiful Butterflies
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Patrick George – Guitar Recital
- OMNI Center: Defend the Gulf-remember Katrina
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Tiffany Christopher
- Rogue: Audible Chocolate with Merl vs Dirty Allie
- George’s: Mountain Sprout
- Greenhouse Grille: Fayetteville Roots Festival
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: The Dashing Suns
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room open mic