Happy 11-11-11, everyone.
In addition to being the luckiest day ever, it’s also Veterans Day, Crystal Bridges opening day, and of course everyone’s favorite holiday, Thanksgiving Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve-Eve.
Buy a lottery ticket, thank a veteran, check out some art, and put a turkey leg in a jar of formaldehyde and bury it in your neighbor’s yard.
Have a great one.
There’s a whole lot of art in a state-of-the-art building that is open to the public for the first time over at Crystal Bridges. It’s free to attend, but tickets are required and they’re ‘sold’ out for today. Who’s going? Who’s already been?
Sarah Hughes Band is at Smoke & Barrel Tavern Friday night, and she’ll be joined on stage by friends Teddy Sablon and Jed Clampit.
On the eve of Arkansas’ matchup with the Tennessee Volunteers, Knoxville Americana outfit The Dirty Gov’nah’s will be at George’s. If you go to the show, ask them about the King of the Mule Challenge.. RJ Mischo kicks off the night during happy hour, and locals Boomkinetic are headlining in the garden.
The Great Scotts are at Rogue Friday night with Oklahoma City band Defining Times, and locals Chemical Discipline.
Also Friday night, the first official game of the Mike Anderson era tips of at Bud Walton Arena when the basketball Hogs take on the Spartans of USC Upstate at 7 p.m.
Saturday marks the second-to-last Saturday Farmers’ Market on the square of the season. That means there are only two left. Soak it in.
The Razorback football team takes on Tennessee at 5 p.m. at Razorback stadium. Tailgating starts much earlier, however. It’s the last (Fayetteville) home game of the year.
Remember Spoken? They are a Christian band originally from Rogers that used to play around here all the time. Now they’re Tooth & Nail recording artists, and they’ll be at The Showcase Saturday night with Righteous Vendetta and Son of Suffering.
George’s has an electronic show with dirty dubstep, glitch, and “global slut psy-hop” from San Francisco DJ Ana Sia. Los Angeles-based Kraddy opens the show, along with DJs Spiff, Eckobass Digital, and Glass.
The Improved Lighting Reading Series returns to Nightbird Books Saturday night with poetry readings planned by Chris Martin, Mary Austin Speaker, Shanna Compton, Peter Davis, Sandra Simonds and Maureen Thorson. Music-wise, Brian Abel will perform. This party starts at 7:30 p.m.
High-energy Kansas blue-grassers, Carrie Nation & The Speakeasy are at Smoke & Barrel Tavern. Any friends of Cletus Got Shot are friends of ours.
Candy Lee recently moved to Jacksonville, Fla., but she’s back in town for a handful of shows. One of them is a reunion with her band, The Sweets, at Greenhouse Grille Sunday night. Carter Sampson and The Phosphenes will open, and tickets are $7 at the door. The show starts at around 6 p.m.
There’s a rock show at Rogue Sunday night, with The Real Live Vikings, Izzy Cox, The Rocketz, and Cold Blue Rebels.
Jenny Dietzel, Corey Whelchel, Andy Chang, Michael Boley, Jillian Garlinghouse, Suzi Pleimann, Amber Secrest, Luthor Wiggins, Chris Guin, Justin Hundley, Ashley Griffith, Jennifer Hunter-Reed, Gail Carter, Carrie Outly, Lindsay French, Shirley Smith, Nate Bazinet, Justine Middleton, Trella Smith, Shandle Kowalski, and Mike Dollins.
*Send us your local birthday shout outs.
Friday, Nov. 11
- Rogue: Defining Times / The Great Scotts
- Bud Walton Arena: UA Men’s Basketball vs. USC Upstate
- Fayetteville Square: 2011 Veteran’s Day Parade
- George’s Majestic Lounge: RJ Mischo / Boomkinetic / The Dirty Gov’nah’s
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Trio
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Sarah Stout – Euphonium Recital
- JJ’s Grill: Red Ambition
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Roby Pantall Trio / West Street Blues Band
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Sarah Hughes Band / Teddy Sablon / Jed Clampit
Saturday, Nov. 12
- The Showcase: Spoken / Righteous Vendetta / Son of Suffering
- Reynolds Razorback Stadium: UA Football vs. Tennessee
- LIT: The Commoners / T-Jay / Will Brand
- GoodFolk: Bob Livingston
- Nightbird Books: Improved Lighting Reading Series
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Ana Sia, Kraddy
- JJ’s Grill: Jason Strode
- UARK Bowl: Soul Night
- Rowdy Beaver Den: Honeyshine
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Theo Reynolds / Chris Cameron Blues Band
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Carrie Nation & The Speakeasy
- Dickson Street Pub: Daniel Chyrsler
Sunday, Nov. 13